Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hot!

Yesterday was another hot-as-hell day. The temperature hit the triple-digits (it ended up hitting 105!). I had to go to Belltown to pick up my glasses, and then off to downtown to pick up a birthday card for Carrie. Even though I forewent walking in favour of taking public transit, I was still a sweaty mess by the time I made it back to the office an hour and ten minutes after I left. Luckily, Carrie and I had made plans to go out for her birthday / Twin baby day, so a little bit after I got home (and chilled out in out Ghetto AC' - hooked - up room), I went outside to turn the AC on in the Prius for about ten minutes so that it would be bearable to sit in, then off we went.

Okay.

I can imagine some people saying "Hey, didn't you grow up on the East Coast? Those summers must make these look like fall!"

Well, yeah, I did grow up in Maryland, and Maryland summers - especially central Maryland summers - tend to be long, hot and humid. There are, however, a couple of vital differences between the long, hot and humid summer in central Maryland that I experienced growing up, and the six weeks of hell that passes for a summer that I'm going through here in Seattle as an adult, the first being A/C; No matter how hot it was outside, one could always duck inside one's residence for relief. A/C around here is the exception instead of the rule.Sweating wasn't that bit of a deal since one knew that as soon as one got inside, the sweating would stop after a bit. Not so here.

And then, there is acceptability. When I was a machinist in Maryland, there wasn't really an issue with me showing up at work dripping with sweat at any time, since that was pretty much a given thing. As a white-collar worker here in Seattle, however, such is not the case, and a rather stupidly unrealistic decorum is expected to be maintained at all times, no matter how hot it may be outside. And - I'm sorry to have to say this - but guys get the short end of the stick when it comes to being able to dress comfortably and cooly during hot weather. It'd be nice to get away with wearing tank tops and non-bifurcated clothing at work without getting stared at. But I don't think that I'll be the trailblazer in an utilikilt any time soon.

That's my "heat" rant for the day:)

No comments: