Thursday, July 23, 2009

Confessions of an (almost) ex-Mac-Geek

Everyone who knows me (at least who has known me for the past six years) knows that I’m a Mac Geek. For me, the interfaces are more intuitive, the graphics better, the memory management saner, and the platform more stable than Windows.

Yet, lately, I’ve been becoming jaded over the entire enterprise. Each release of the OS costs serious money, and the latest and greatest hardware even more so. I don’t like having to get the latest and greatest and pay serious money for it – especially when I can get something that does the job for free. I’m not a hardcore computer user, but I do like a nice stable box who’s applications don’t always crash.

Enter Linux. I’ve been wanting to play around with it ever since 2003, but I’ve never had the chance to actually base all of my daily computer use around it. I’ve the following challenges to contend with:

  1. All of my music is on my iPod, and I’ve bought a lot of it through iTunes.

  2. OSX does a pretty nifty job of backing itself up and restoring using Time Machine

  3. I’ve a lot of custom Firefox settings

  4. Documents, pictures, and programming projects

  5. Oh – and my digital camera works like a breeze with my Mac


Okay – so what am I to do?

Well…

  1. I can still use my Mac for managing my music, at least if and until Apple releases a version of iTunes for Linux

  2. I’ll need to investigate this one, but I’m hoping that an open-source solution can be found

  3. Foxmarks will take care of this

  4. Well - they’re only files! Transfer them!

  5. Keep the Mac for this as well, and transfer the files – at least until I can get my camera to download files to my Linux box


While the prospect of keeping yet another computer in the house doesn’t thrill me, I’ll need to put up with it in the near future.

Okay – I guess next up, I’ll go over what my distro criteria are.

No comments: