Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Well, that sucks!

Pioneer Square in Seattle is a mixed bag. On the one hand, you have scores of galleries, specialty stores, cafes, bookstores, and places to eat amidst buildings that date back to when this city was founded. On the other hand, Pioneer Square has become a haven for a segment of the populace that is less-than-desirable. One case in point: I was walking into the garage in which I've parked several times as of late before in the past when I noticed two individuals sneaking into a stairway to (supposedly) take drugs.

I mention all this only because our car got broken into last night.

Nothing was taken; I had been playing my iPod in the stereo, and must have left the jack out for all (well, anyone who would be wont to go looking into car windows, in any case) to see; fortunately, Mrs. Burrell didn't raise any fools (just one heathen, but that's a different thing altogether), and I had taken my little iPod nano with me to work. There was absolutely nothing of value in the car itself to be taken.

Still, having my car broken into did feel invasive to me, and on the short (although, not - thankfully - cold) drive home, I did oscillate between fear, anger and helplessness, but thankfully, I was able to regroup rather quickly. I made an appointment with Safelite Auto Glass, and a repairman was able to come out today and replace the broken window.

Tangentially...

I had wanted to re-run one of my past courses this morning using my nifty new Nike+ attachment for my iPod (more on this later), but the dang thing was out of juice, so I had to run the course sans music. Thing is, doing so this morning took me back to a time when I had first started running while in the Navy when it was just me, the open air, the drawing of my breath, and the beating of my heart. There was a sort of almost idyllic purity to just one man and his running in the cold winter morning air.

Still - I do like to have my music with me, if for no other reason than to time myself and keep me honest. And sane.

No comments: