Friday, December 11, 2009

Boujey

I think that we’re going “boujey”.

Don’t misunderstand me. I think that the two of us – separately and as  a couple – have always had those tendencies.  We both favor Whole Foods, have more than a passing familiarity with the French Language, watch “Masterpiece Contemporary”, have plenty of foreign films in our Netflix queue, are very particular about our coffee, and could very well be outright foodies if it weren’t for the fact that neither one of us are quite that snobby.
 
See? Boujey.
 
I bring this up because when the prospect of Carrie going on bedrest transitioned from a mere possibility to an emerging reality, we decided that it would behoove us to hire a housekeeper to come to our place and give it a deep cleaning.  Now, lest you think that we’ve fully gone over to the darkside (or, as it’s known in local parlance, the East Side), we’ve not gone out and solicited a single individual and put this poor soul on call 24/7 – instead, we contacted a locally owned, environmentally company called Seattle Natural  Cleaning, and we’re having them come out every other week to clean our house.
 
Okay, not totally boujey, but close enough to make me realize that, while we don’t make enough to totally be catered to as often as we’d like (or need), we still do well enough to entertain certain possibilities that are beyond the scope of many. Insert twinges of Middle-Class Liberal guilt here.
 
In other asides, QFC sucks. For me, the selections are limited, the organization haphazard, and the stores crowded and unfriendly. There are three notable exceptions – the QFC in lower Queen Anne, and the two on Broadway. These stores are large, spacious, well-lit and somewhat pleasant places to shop. Then again, of all the QFC’s in the Puget Sound area, I imagine these three (along with the one in University Villiage) are probably the ones that are most frequented by boujey individuals. Like us.
 
Sigh.

1 comment:

Kat said...

My deep dark secret is that for several years, Allen has employed a housekeeper to do a bi weekly deep cleaning on our house. I don't tell this to anyone, lest they think we are snobs. It was for health reasons, to reduce my asthma attacks, and to free up more time for me to educate the children. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from.