Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Goodbye, Downtown Cups

When I first started working at my Varolii, my daily commute took me past a wonderful coffee ship called Downtown Cups. I would walk past that establishment on my way to the Exchange Building and stop in just about every day. After about a couple of weeks of seeing my face, the owner (Michelle) and the baristas would memorize my poison of choice, and start working on it as I stepped into the doorway. Over the years, I developed a genuine rapport with Michelle and some of the baristas, and my visits became less about me just stopping in to get coffee, and more about just seeing what was up and how everyone was doing. When I moved across the sound from Kitsap County to Seattle’s Belltown area, I stopped in less often, since it was no longer directly on my way, but I still made it a point to stop by at least three or four times a month and see how everyone was doing.

Today, I stopped by to get a cuppa, and found the doors closed. After four –plus years of serving the downtown area and commuters, Downtown Cups is no more.

Very sad. DTC filled a pretty significant place in my workday life, and now will do so no more. I truly wish Michelle (the former owner) all the best in all of her future endeavors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I worked at Varolii myself my daily venture to Cups was a favored ritual as well. The team there was great. Needless to say I only answered their trivia question correctly about 25% of the time.

Michelle said...

Aww...Thanks for the love. I miss you guys. It was fun, but I am ready to move into my new culinary life. I wish you the best to stay well caffinated!