Tuesday, November 17, 2009

U.S. Healthworks - a "Like" story

Let me begin by saying that I have no doubt that places such as U.S. Healthworks exist for a reason, and I'm sure that, for many people, the level of care that they receive there is more than adequate to meet their needs. I'd also like to say that I normally dnn't consider myself to be an elitist when it comes to the level of medical help that I feel that I deserve.

That having been said, my visit recently to the USH facility on Denny was creepy, to put it mildly.  The receptionist wasn't the sharpest tack on the posterboard, and kept touching her hands to her face - which I think is a no-no when you are working in a doctor's office. The office itself was unkempt, but nowhere near as disheveled as the MDA (I'm assuming that's some sort of medical assistant) who took me back to the room. Hirsute, overweight, unshaven for probably about three days, dressed in tattered scrubs, and wearing beat-up tennis shoes, I was almost tempted to think that I was - well, on Scrubs! The highlights of my interaction with him: he taking a strange slip of paper from a desk drawer and silently thrusting it towards my mouth, leaving it to me to decipher that said piece of paper was really a disposable thermometer; and him cranking the air pressure to about 300 psi so that he could take my blood pressure. Note to the nurse: after having squeezed my arm from my body, it's bound to be low.

At the very least the doctor herself seemed to be competant at what she does.  But the sheer level of heat in the office was so great that I almost got sick a couple of times, and she had to ask me if nausea was part of my symptoms. Nope - I'm pretty sure that me departing the Sahara in July will help to alleviate this sickness that I'm feeling...

Ah, sigh, such was my experience with Urgent Care in the great state of Washington.  I left with many memories, but - more importantly - I left with prescriptions in hand.

No comments: