Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cold Turkey...

It was almost a disaster.

Carrie and I had planned on grill-roasting our turkey. I had gotten the turkey prepped, cleaned, rinsed, brined, rinsed again, and set on a nicely preheated, cleaned grill with woodchips for smokiness.

Then it happened.

We ran out of propane - at 3 in the afternoon - on Thanksgiving.

*sigh*

I would like to be able to say "luckily, Lowes was open until 4, and, after much heroic effort and mad-dashing down Beacon Hill, I made it to the store with 10 minutes to spare, and I was able to trade in my existing propane tank for a new one, and all was good." Alas, such was not to be the case. No place that sold propane was open in Seattle, and Carrie and I hastily re-jiggered the course d' cuire, and our Thanksgiving dinner was only an hour delayed.

Everything turned out great  - the appetizers set the stage nicely, the turkey and stuffing was moist, the green beans, cornbread and beets were delicious, and the desert was fantastic.  We spent that meal doing something very un-Thanksgiving-like - watching season three of Deadwood - but to each their own ;)

I spent most of the day after doing projects around the house, attempting to strike items off of the ever-growing list that, inevitably, every homeowing husband finds awaiting him. Lest you think that I do these things grudgingly, however, know that I'd much rather work for our gratification in our own house than someone else's in an apartment - or not at all, even, since the results of my efforts work to enrich our lives directly. Also, before you get the impression that the list is solely a "honey-do" list, let me also add that many of  the items on it were directly contributed by me.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Ha! What a funny Thanksgiving story. One year our oven broke... the night before hosting 20 or 25 for Thanksgiving dinner... what a funny time that was. And yet, no one starved! Wish I'd have thought of the grill.

You are doing great on your running. You should hook up with my brother in law Ben. He is very much into running and is running his, I think, 3rd half marathon in January.

C.A. Cubed said...

Is Ben in Seattle or nearby?