Monday, September 7, 2009

Confessions of an (almost) ex-Linux Geek

Thursday, I took my Mac into the Apple Store in Southcenter to get fixed, so I'm temporarily using my work computer that has Linux installed on it.  At one point, I had thought about ditching the Mac for a Linux-installed PC, and the prices of new Mac Laptops are slowly pushing me in that direction. The thing is, though, I'm noticing that Firefox on Ubuntu is a bit slower than it is in other platforms, and the embedded Flash support for the 64 bit version of Ubuntu is sadly inconsistant. Also - OpenOffice still doesn't offer full support for the .docx / .xslx / .pptx formats, and I'm noticing that even editing plain old .doc files produces some weird, undesirable effects when you open up said edited documents in Word. And finally, there is no nifty MP3 storefront available for Linux that rivals iTunes. Given those facts and the fact that I'm tied to my iPod (plus also want to get an iPhone at some point in the future), and I may just suck up the cost, get a new Mac, and throw Ubuntu on a partition and use either Parallels (if my version supports the newer Ubuntu distro) or Sun's VirtualBox to run it. I'll only need $2500. Oh well - maybe I can claim it as a businesss expense...?

No comments: