Monday, September 28, 2009

Life as it is...

A couple of weeks ago, Carrie and I finally took the plunge, made the trip to Lowes, and bought a plethora of painting supplies in the vainglorious assumption that we would be able to prime and paint over 1000 square feet of wall space in a single three-day weekend. Expansion bolts, cheap hardware, generally shoddy shelving and curtain rod installation and time spent on masking and edging said 1000 square feet of wall space quickly brought our rather high hopes skidding earthwards,  and that was before a scary and tense night in the hospital brought on by Carrie going into the initial stages of appendicitis and her recovery from such.

We had spent the next week laying low while Carrie recovered from her surgery, and, as she took her tentative first steps to a life which is for now normal (meaning that she, as the mother of twins, can only be expected to not feel sick or unwell roughly the same percentage of the time as  Carrie-the-not-expectant-mother-of-twins could be expected to feel sick or unwell), we enlisted the aid of friends to help us in our endeavours.

Thankfully, many of them came through for us, and for the past couple of weeks at least two of them have been helping us prime and paint our living room, and prime (at least the high-hiding prime, since the previous owners chose a rather bold colour palette that I can best describe as "Mexican Taqueria"). However, we had to once again readjust our expectations of many things downwards. We were able to get a single coat of paint on the living room walls, we didn't get any trim work done, and the hallway and kitchen are still crying out for attention. Meanwhile, we've decided to re-paint the kids room a slightly less aggressive shade of green (one that does not induce epileptic seizures in otherwise un-challenged individuals), and we've come to the conclusion that, since neither one of us does this for a living, we should opt on the side of sanity and cut ourselves some slack when it comes to how the paint looks on the walls.

So - add a slowly progressing painting project into the many things that we as new homeowners need to get done.  I was going to seal the deck and prune the trees, but the former can wait while it's too late for the latter. I've got to put my personal efforts into "acquiring" a set of sawhorses (Lowes or that nicely-placed set in the common alleyway behind our house will suffice), taking the doors down, resanding them both, refinishing one while repainting the other, and  - oh - the Baby Project awaits.

But it's all good. I mean, I feel much more satisfaction doing these things as a homeowner and knowing that we're investing our time and hearts into something that we'll get the emotional benefit of for as long as we choose to have it rather than doing the same in an apartment and having to get the owner's permission to effect our desires upon our living space. Regardless of how long this process takes - I'll be holding that thought in my heart.

In other news...

A couple of weekends ago, I injured my foot while gallivanting about our backyard sans footwear (a folly I normally from which I normally refrain). I spent the next week or so healing, and then after my drive down to Oregon to attend a training seminar, I spent the next couple of weeks knee-deep in housework. This morning, for the very first time in three weeks, I ran my usual route.


View Larger Map

I made it from Orcas to Mrytle to Graham - 1.5 miles - without stopping,but the uphill grade on the way northwards from Myrtle back to Orcas, proved just a bit much for me, and I had to walk for a couple of blocks before running the rest of the way back to Orcas. Still, I think that I did rather well for not having ran for the past three weeks.

Concerning running:

I've a couple of personal challenges that I'd like to take on before the year lets out:
  • A lap around Greenlake (Inner): About 3 miles
  • A lap around Seward Park: I think that this is around 2 miles
  • Going Northward on Queen Anne Ave.: Not very far (maybe a mile), but all uphill.

No comments: