Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heat Wave 2010 - day one

With the advent of temperatures above 80, I think that I will declare this to be the beginning of Heat Wave 2010. The situation is a bit different this year; we are not using our ghetto AC in the kids' room, we have 2 kids in that room, and we have an extra person in the household. We had a representative from a local HVAC place come out to our house to give us an estimate, but I have yet to receive the proposals. Grrrr....


So, I trekked down to Lowes last night in search of fans.  Just as I thought, there were rather slim pickings - a rotating model set atop an ugly iron frame for $160, and a smaller portable model for $20. I grabbed two of the latter and  then made my way home.  They make a little bit of difference, but not as much of one as would, say, a centralized air conditioning system installed by the same folks who came by our house to give us an estimate. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hey, guys.

I had to laugh like crazy at this post. I know that in your area where it never gets this hot, 90 seems unbearable, but here's the thing. This week our temps have been hovering around 106 and 107. Hot to say the least. Here's the funniest part. You know how I hate to close the windows? So three years we spent $10,000 on a new HVAC system, which I hate to turn on because then I would have to close the windows. So except for when we go to bed at night it remains off. And here you are, balanced normal people who would be glad to have the windows closed and the air conditioning running. Now don't you think that is amusing... even a little?

Love,

Kat