Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fra l'inferno e l'inverno

Well, after another six-week summer here in Seattle, I'm looking at the weather forecasts for the rest of the month, and all I'm seeing is either cloudiness or rain, with highs in the 50's and 60's. If it wasn't the case before, it is now: summer in Seattle  is over.

I'll miss the warmer days and the sun and the opportunities to take many walks, no doubt, but I'll not shed any tears over the heat waves and being stuck in a place that has no AC, that's for sure.

This summer's passing is a bittersweet occasion for me. The beginning saw Carrie getting pregnant with twins, our getting our very first house together, my return to Maryland to see friends that I'd not laid eyes on in two decades (as well as family and friends that I had seen on a more frequent basis over the years), my return to running, and two very momentous birthdays for Carrie and me.

However, the upcoming fall is not without its treats. In a few days, we'll be flying back to Utah to spend more time with my in-laws, finding out the gender(s) of our children, and (hopefully with the help of my sister-in-law) finishing up the ever-present painting project that has consumed so many hours of our lives, as well as finally getting our mess of a studio organized and getting the kids room put together.

Ever since my copacetic autumnal experiences in Maryland, I've come to believe that fall,  is my favorite season, since (for me) it represents  the change from the youthful eagerness of summer into the staid introspection of winter; not so much a sea change as a easy transition in which (at times) elements of both its seasonal bookends are present.

Past the fall, for me, though, lies even greater occasions. Our kids will be born next year, and I may see fall supplanted by winter as my favorite, since it will be the season of the birth of our children.  That is the event that I am most looking forward to!

No comments: