Monday, June 7, 2010

Just another weekend

Things are definitely better when I'm able to mow the lawn once a week. I was able to cut my previous times by a full hour due to the facts that (1) I didn't  have to mow the entire lawn twice, and (2) I didn't have to rake up a ton of grass.


Taking advantage of the fact that we have someone who is living with us who doesn't mind looking after the kids, Carrie and I went down to Georgetown on Saturday to eat at Calamity Jane's, a new American eatery. We found the food there to be pretty good - not stellar fare, but tasty nonetheless. We both opted to have half-pound burgers - which we both finished ;) I had the Calamity Jane while Carrie had the Wild Bill Hickock. We both liked the toppings and the burgers were cooked perfectly. The food snobs in us suspected that they were using pre-formed patties that may or may not have been previously frozen (verssus hand-formed patties which would more definitely be fresh), but I personally don't think that detracted from from the experience.


Sunday, I tried my hand at making a drink that I had first experienced last week at Toulouse Petit, called a "Breakfast Flip". Here is the recipe that I used in my first attempt:

  • 1 cracked raw egg
  • 1 shot vodka
  • 1 shot maple syrup
  • 1-1/2 shot Cafe Boheme
  • Sprinkled cinnamon on top of the shaken mixture



My first attempt came out a little strong and sweet. I alleviated the former by adding crushed ice into the mix. I suspect that the latter could also be remedied by my using Baileys instead of Cafe Boheme; both are cream-based liqueurs, but Boheme has more of a sweetened coffee flavor  to it. To cut down on the sweetness, I may just cut out a bit of the syrup and up the vodka content. Next weekend, maybe ;)


Links:
Calamity Jane's
Toulouse Petit

No comments: