Monday, May 11, 2009

House Hunting, part one

Carrie and I are in the process of buying our first house (first together and as individuals).

First, we did the Redfin thing - looking up houses, then going out to the various locations and giving them a rather cursory visual inspection. We had done this with a couple of places in West Seattle, Beacon Hill, Seward Park, Madison Valley and the Central District. We ended that day at a condo in Columbia City.

Then, I had gone out with our realtors by myself looking for a place, since her work schedule is a bit less flexible than mine. We looked at a place that Carrie and I had looked at in Seward Park, but went inside this time. Wow - this place, which looked charming from the outside, was a bit depressing on the inside. We then went to Beacon Hill and found an Extremelly Nice Place which I thought that Carrie would fall in love with. We then ventured to view two blah townhouses, one in Beacon Hill and one in the Central District. There was also another house in the CD as well, but that one was tiny with no yard to speak of.

Carrie and I went out next to view a place in Judkins. Nope - too close to Ranier.

We then went out with our realator to Greenwood ( one really nice place, but too close to power lines, and one blah place), Maple Leaf (yikes! I mean the house, not the neighborhood), West Seattle (one in Arbor Heights - a bit too far from the action for me, one closer to Westwood - too small, and one around Gatewood - too small, and a couple of hoodlooms ruined the neighborhood experiance by yelping like dogs as we got out of the car), and Beacon Hill.

My instincts were right - Carrie loved the place!

Next up - the offer!

No comments: